[Sca-cooks] Saffron in Ireland

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 22 05:01:16 PDT 2004

It is unprovable.  If saffron was imported in the Bronze Age tin trade, I
doubt that the plants were traded and they were being cultivated there, the
Romans would have noted it.

The best evidence is the Romans introduced the plant to Britian and that it
fell into disuse and died out until reintroduced in the early Medieval
period.

Bear