[Sca-cooks] Saffron in Ireland

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 22 05:09:55 PDT 2004

Saffron Waldon is in Essex, part of Roman controlled Britian.  I have yet to
find out when the name was adopted.  And the existence of the name does not
denote continous cultivation.

One also needs to consider that liguistically the name is post-Roman and may
be tied to the 12th Century Waldensian sect in France.

The subject needs more research.

Bear