[Sca-cooks] long pepper?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Jun 24 09:24:49 PDT 2004

Also sprach Kathleen A. Roberts:
>so.... having just won the al-barran midwinter bid (feed 300)...
>and living in the heart of chili-head-ania.....
>
>tell me more or where i can find more about long pepper?  and does
>it fit into 12th/13th cent euro food?   (christ-mass in the time of
>the troubadours)
>
>if i can give the chili heads a fix, so to speak, mebbe more will
>enjoy their medieval chow! 8)

The first thing you need to know is that long pepper is more closely
related to black pepper than to chiles. Think of inch-long
(approximately) black pinecones or evergreen tips, tasting somewhat
like black pepper, but somehow a little sharper and lighter in
flavor. GREAT with fish dishes, and excellent in medieval pepper
sauces. My fave is the Anglo-Norman MS one with grape pulp and
ginger...

It's perfectly possible to make a hot-tasting dish with this stuff,
but chile it is not, the opinions of some writers published in the
Larousse Gastronomique, Madeleine Kamman, and others notwithstanding.

Adamantius