[Sca-cooks] need a little help with uses for rosewater

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Fri Jun 25 13:13:19 PDT 2004

On Jun 25, 2004, at 3:46 PM, Finne Boonen wrote:

> hey,
>
> today I accidently stumbled over a shop that was moving, so they ahd
> all their stuff at -30%
> and I picked up  (amongst others) a bottle of rosewater, remembering
> that it was used in several recipes but now I can't find any anymore
> ;(
> and the florilegium rosewater file is about how to make it, not when
> to use it ;(
> anybody got any hints for uses?

Oh, and here are some other source recipes:

[A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye]  To make egges in moneshyne. Take a
dyche of rosewater and a dyshe full of suger, and set them upon a
chaffyngdysh, and let them boyle, than take the yolkes of viii or ix
egges newe layde and putte them therto everyone from other, and so
lette them harden a lyttle, and so after this maner serve them forthe
and cast a lyttle synamon and sugar upon them.

[A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye]  To make Blewe manger. Take a capon
and cut out the brawne of hym a lyve and perboyle the brawne till the
flesshe come from the bone, and then drye him as drye as you canne, in
a fayre clothe, then take a payre of cardes and carde hym as small as
is possyble, and than take a pottell of mylke and a pottell of creame,
and halfe a pounde of Rye flower, and your carded brawne of the capon
and putte all into a pan, and stere it al together and set it upon the
fyre, and wha nit begynneth to boyle put thereto halfe a pounde of
beaten Suger and a sauserfull of Rose water and so let it boyle tyll it
be very thicke, then put it into a charger tyll it be colde, and then
ye maye slyce it as ye doe lieche and so serve it in.

[Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books]  Quynade. Take Quynces, & pare
hem clene, caste hem on a potte, & caste ther-to water of Rosys; do it
ouer the fyre, & hele it faste, & let it boyle a gode whyle tyl they
ben neysshe; & if they wol not ben neysshe, bray hem in a Morter smal,
draw hem thorw a straynoure; take gode Mylke of Almandys, & caste in a
potte & boyle it; take whyte Wyne & Vynegre, an caste ther-to the
Mylke, & let it stonde a whyle; take than a clene canvas, & caste the
mylke vppe-on, & with a platere stryke it of the clothe, & caste it on
the potte; gedyr vppe the quynces, & caste to the creme, & do it ouer
the fyre, & lat boyle; take a porcyon of pouder of Clowys, of Gyngere,
of Graynys of Perys, of Euery a porcyon; take Sugre y-now, with Salt, &
a party of Safroun, & alle menge to-gederys; & when thou dressyst
forth, plante it with foyle of Syluer.

- Doc