[Sca-cooks] coconut milk and rice milk

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 28 07:22:58 PDT 2004

>Also sprach Sharon R. Saroff:
>>I have a cooking competition coming up and I am interested in knowing how
>>period coconut and rice milks are.  I have seen coconut milk as an
>>ingredient in Indian recipes and occasionally in middle eastern recipes.
>>I need a substitute for yogurt because my personna would not use it in the
>>same recipe as meat.  I have come up dry on my sources at home so far.
>
>I assume (rightly or wrongly) we're delving into period Kashrut? If so, are
>we talking about European or Middle Eastern Judaic practices?
>
>As Doc suggested, almond milk turns up in an amazing number of European
>recipes as a substitute for milk, cream, and even eggs. It does, however,
>lack the tang of yogurt. Even the couple of European recipes that curdle
>the almond milk using vinegar don't give a sour-tasting final product. But
>then, almond milk is also used in some Persian and Mughal Indian recipes
>even today.

<<<<snip>>>>>>>>

>To substitute for the tang of yogurt as it is used in places like India,
>but without a dairy product, it seems like places like tropical SE Asia
>(where you sometimes find obviously Indian-inspired cookery, but in a
>non-dairy form, places like Myanmar), citrus juices like lime play a large
>role, sometimes even in dishes with similar names to their Indian
>counterparts using yogurt.
>
>I guess we'd need a little more info about exactly what you're trying to
>accomplish.
>
>Adamantius

She may or may not want to devulge as I am one of the judges at that
competition (Trial by Fire).  There are others on this list that may well be
competing as well.  Actually, from my view, it would be ok if she decides to
talk more openly about it as the recipe and the final product are two
different things.  I must say, Sindara took Grand Champion a couple years
ago IIRC.  I look forward to seeing you again Sindara!
Olwen