[Sca-cooks] Green Cheese, just like the moon is made of...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Jun 30 05:59:52 PDT 2004

Also sprach Bronwynmgn at aol.com:
>In a message dated 6/29/2004 6:29:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>adamantius.magister at verizon.net writes:
>
><<If you think Sage Derby is fun, check out that striped Hunstman
>cheese, made in layers of Cheshire (I think) and a Stilton-like Blue>>
>
>I love Huntsman, but a warning - if you don't like REALLY sharp cheeses, be
>careful!

I confess I do like sharp cheeses (as with olive oil: if it's too
mild, what's the point?). On the other hand, the fat content is high
enough to take a lot of the edge off of it. The Huntsman that I'm
familiar with has a sharpness level (I'm guessing) somewhat less than
a typical [modern, non-Farmhouse-style] sharp Cheddar (IOW, medium, I
suppose I'd call it), with a fairly high fat content, and the vinny
[veiny/blue] layers are sharp, but very rich.

As with things like vinaigrette, the creamy, fatty phase tends to
decrease the effects of extreme pH and other sources of sharp flavors.

What's people's impression of a really sharp cheese? I'd vote for a
sheep's milk Cheddar I once encountered. At least that was how it was
billed. For soft cheeses, maybe Liederkranz?

Adamantius