[Sca-cooks] garnishing food

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Tue Mar 9 09:32:12 PST 2004

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa commented:

Also, everything went out garnished, including the cheese plate at the
end. I notice that we don't tend to garnish things, and it's pretty clear
to me from the recipes that garnishes were used-- perhaps it's fear of
cross contamination or whatever, but food doesn't usualy go out looking
that pretty.
<<<<<

No, I think it is more the problem of folks not thinking about it or thinking about it, but not know what to do. There is also the problem of doing it for a large number of people and not just for a table or two of people.

I would love to have an article for the Florilegium on garnishing food. Especially one on garnishing food in a period fashion, if indeed they did things differently than might be done today.  Because of the difficulty of making things look attractive in what is often a cafeteria setting with amateur cooks and helpers rather than in a four star resturant with a trained staff, I think some simple ideas that improve things with minimal effort as opposed to intricately carved decorations and such would be best.

I have been to several clothing classes where they show how to dress up simple outfits with a few accessories. Usually with a model dressed in a plain, unadorned outfit and then they proceed to dress them up with additional accessories. It really can make quite a difference in appearence and I imagine the same could be done with food.

So, does anyone have some suggestions on garnishing period food dishes? What do the period recipes or feast descriptions say about garnishes?

Stefan