[Sca-cooks] Sekanjabin and vinegars

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 29 21:46:05 PST 2004

Elewyiss mentioned:
> Do  you like sekanjabin also? I love it. The first time I had it I
> drank
> the syrup streight out of the bottle.
Awk!
> I didn't know you had to dilute
> it. So now I think it's all pretty weak but still. . . That's why I
> started making my own vinegar.
So, how are you making your own vinegar? Which types have you made? I
recently purchased some sugarcane vinegar (and some French Walnut Oil)
at Tuesday Morning but I've not opened either one. Anyone have any good
suggestions for how to best use the Walnut oil?

Sekanjabin can be varied quite a lot by varying the type of vinegar,
mint and sugar (or honey) used. But perhaps you already know that and
that is why you started making your own vinegar? In addition,
Sekanjabin is just one of many similar drinks. Many of which probably
haven't been made in recent decades, at least. You can find some of
these recipes (most from Master Cariadoc) and other info you might be
interested in, in these files in the BEVERAGES and the FOOD sections of
the Florilegium:
jalabs-msg        (64K)  7/22/02    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                        as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint
Drink).

Vinegar-art       (20K)  6/26/01    "What's so special about Vinegar?"
by
                                        Mistress Christianna MacGrain.
Vinegar-NJFCC-art (18K) 10/23/01    "Vinegar: Not Just for Cleaning
Coffeepots"
                                        by THL Mirin ben DhIarmait.
vinegar-msg       (56K) 12/ 3/03    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.

Of course Elewyiss if you have some comments about stuff in these files
or some additional how-to info or stuff you've found in your research,
please consider sending me a message or two to add to these files.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com