[Sca-cooks] Devilish Derivations

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 30 12:10:19 PST 2004

I just got back from doing an hour with some gifted High School students at
the end of their medieval section of classes.  I did a modified "Feast
Appreciation", complete with food.  It went really well, and most of them
really liked everything I brought.  I did the Sallat of Cold Capon Roasted,
gingerbrede, samit, sekanjabin, applemoy, and stuffed eggs among other
things.  I made a point of saying "No, they aren't devilled eggs, they are
stuffed eggs".  On the way home I got to thinking, what is the origin of the
term 'devilled' when referring to food?  I know of devilled ham which is a
spread, and devilled eggs which are also a sort of mash/forcemeat and it
seems to me that I recall some Italian (?) recipes for things being called
'diablo'.  So, I thought I would come to this group (being a collection of
the smartest food people I know) to have you all ponder with me.
Anyone one the etymology of this term?
Christianna