[Sca-cooks] non-illuminated scrolls

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 31 20:28:04 PST 2004

Maire commented:
> I don't even have a real scroll for my AoA...what I got was half a
> sheet
> of paper (like half of an 8.5 x 11 sheet, only heavier paper), with
> someone's Gothic text on it.  I know it's half a sheet because it
> wasn't
> exactly cut precisely evenly, and my friend, who got her GoA that same
> day, had the other half :o)
Ironically, since the SCA has made great strides in becoming more
authentic in so many ways, your scroll is actually more authentic than
the fancier and fancier illuminated award scrolls we see these days.
The document for a grant in period was simply a legal document. It
would not have been illuminated in a blaze of color. I remember these
same comments coming up over 12 years ago. And we have gotten further
from this than we were then. But everyone likes the pretty colored
award scrolls. They then make something pretty to hang on our walls.
The words mean little to folks outside the Society, but they can oh and
ah over the pretty illuminations and fancy calligraphy.

You will find some of this discussion in this file in the SCRIBAL ARTS
section of the Florilegium and here is also a period example of a
grant.
calligraphy-msg  (141K) 11/28/99    Inks, papers, calligraphic styles.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCRIBAL-ARTS/calligraphy-msg.html
Grant-man         (9K)  1/12/94    Example of a Grant-for-life.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCRIBAL-ARTS/Grant-example-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas