[Sca-cooks] Convivencia feast postmortem (LONG!!!)

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Mar 1 10:01:50 PST 2004

Congratulations! Sounds like quite an effort for your first feast. A
couple of suggestions (which you probably realize by now, but I'll
make for others in that position):

Bring lots of thermometers, both oven thermometers and meat
thermometers. Use the oven thermometers before you have to start
using the oven. I disovered this at a feast where one of the ovens
turned out to be either on full blast or off--no intermediate
options. The bread would have come out looking prettier if I had
realized this earlier.

My system for receipts, designed to make it very hard to lose them:
have an envelope magnetted to the refrigerator, into which receipts
are put; if necessary make notes on the receipt about what it was for
before you put it in. As each goes in, put the total from that
receipt on a list on the outside of the envelope. At the end, add up
that column. The envelope never leaves that spot until I am handing
over my final accounts for the event.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook