[Sca-cooks] Food paintings

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Mar 3 07:50:37 PST 2004

> There are a bunch of Flemish paintings with food in them....they're in
> one of my costuming books (as a source for middle class clothing).
> Would you like specifics?
> --maire, who's got this reeeeaaally bad image of Olwen doing an
> entrement of a marzipan John-the-Baptist.....[make it go awaaaaay!!!!]

A friend of mine did a semi-mundane subtlety for someone whose arms
include St. Agatha, who is generally depicted carrying her breasts on a
plate.

The subtlety consisted of two dome-shaped red velvet cakes over  flat
circular red velvet cakes, both filled with vanilla pudding and iced in
white and pink.

The first wasn't so shocking, apparently-- but several people came late to
the party and didn't see the two cakes together, thus failing to
recognize the iconography. When they cut into the second cake and the
pudding came squirting out, they were _very_ disconcerted. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I am in a corner without being back[ed?] there and often come out
fighting." -- James Thurber, 1960 interview with Life