[Sca-cooks] Food paintings

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 3 08:32:13 PST 2004

While you are looking, I should tell you that the project I'm starting on
now is to identify recipes (and paintings would be really helpful as well)
that specify a particular type of cooking vessel.  This comes from spending
the weekend with (now) Mistress Honnoria, who was the one responsible for
many of the period pottery cookware I had at Pennsic.  She has a book on
pottery cookware now, with about a dozen examples of period pots and various
utensils like a drippings pan to be placed below a roast to catch drippings
to make sauces with (there was some discussion about that last week, I
believe).  So, she and I talked and I said I'd like to start with recipes
for things that call for a specific cook pot, and then she could produce
said pot, then we could cook the recipe in it, etc.  We did this at Pennsic
with one dish which specifically called for a pipkin, which we used and it
worked beautifully.
So, in everyone's various wanderings through period texts, if you come
across a recipe that specifies a certain type of vessel for the preparation
of the food, I'd be appreciative if you could bring it to my attention.  I
will start compiling a list of types of vessels and recipes that call for
them.
Thanks,
Christianna

http://gallery.euroweb.hu/

Ok, so I'm slowly digging through the above web archive in search of
paintings featuring foods (especially pies) and I find myself thinking
grumpy thoughts about the painters, such as:

	"He calls that a banquet?  There's nothing on the table but a half a
loaf of bread and an empty glass!"

What's worse, the more tired I get, the more I'm looking for paintings
with titles like:

	"The Virgin Mary and Child Being Fed a Tart of Cherries"

	"Saint Sebastian With the Bakers"

... and the ever popular ...

	"Salome Receiving the Head of John the Baptist in a Standing Crust"

I should probably give up for the night and go to bed, eh?

- Doc