[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Portion size question

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 3 08:39:19 PST 2004

At a "normal" feast, how many *total* cooked ounces of /deboned meat do you
generally serve given a reasonable budget, spread amongst all the courses ?

Yea, I know part of this is interkingdom anthropology -- the  East, Middle,
Calontir, Meridies, Ansteorra tend to be carnivores that I am aware of, or
heavy fighters in any given location tend to prefer large quantities of meat
and
large quantities of food at any time.

Thanks in advance for your replies,

the other Olwen
Barony of Sternfeld, Midrealm

Here is the section on portioning from my "Feast Planner's Handbook".
Christianna

Very often, the Autocrat will come up with a figure for food that fits in
with the overall event cost, and then assign it to the Feastcrat.  Start by
deducting the amounts for other meals such as breakfast, to determine the
actual amount you have for each diner.  The average person’s stomach holds
roughly 32oz. of food.  Plan on serving amounts that do not exceed a total
of 32 oz. per diner spread out over all of the courses planned for the meal.
A general way to look at the distribution of the types of foods to serve is
to look at the typical expenditures on meals, 40% on meat, poultry and fish;
35% on produce, beverages, and misc. groceries; 17.5% on eggs, butter,
cheese, dairy; 7.5% on breads and desserts.
	With a definite starting number, you can plan on dividing up the cost and
serving sizes among the foods you plan to serve.

For example: if you’ve got $5.00 for feast, then:
40% on meat or other entrees  = $2.00.
35% on produce and groceries  = $1.75
17.5% on dairy 	    	      =   .87
7.5%  on bread and desserts   =   .37

and a 32.0z total serving weight divides out to:
40% 	of 32oz.  = 12.8oz meat or other entrees
35% 	of 32oz.  = 11.2oz. produce and groceries
17.5% of 32 oz. =  5.6 oz dairy
7.5%	of 32 oz  =  2.4 oz bread and desserts

Note that these are service-sized portions, or cooked weights.