[Sca-cooks] Le Viandier Spice Question

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 3 13:58:44 PST 2004

As I have Prescott's translation right here --

"Picon" refers to the Pichon edition of Le Viandier de Guillaume Tirel dit
Taillevent. The spice blend recipe given by Prescott is in the "Additional
Recipes" section, the implication being that it is NOT in Taillevent.

 I am guessing that it might be the recipe from the mid-16th century "Livre
fort excellent de cuysine" which Scully (in Early French Cooking) says is "a
distant derivative of the Viandier" since he says that it includes nutmeg,
galingale and long pepper as well as the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, grains of
paradise and sugar in the Menagier recipe.

If you need the Menagier recipe from Scully, let me know.

Sorry I can't check further. Anyone have either Pichon or the "Livre fort
excellent de cuysine"?

Cynara