[Sca-cooks] Le Viandier Spice Question

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Mar 3 14:19:56 PST 2004

>  So what is Picon? Is this referring to the Picon edition of Le
> Menagier? Is there a Picon edition of Taillevent? Or a Picon
> article published elsewhere?

"Pichon":  there's clearly a typo in the Florilegium, is the 1893
French transcription of several of the MSs.  Here's the citation.

Taillevent.  Le Viandier.  Published as Le Viandier de Guillaume
Tirel dit Taillevent edited by J. Pichon and G. Vicaire 1892.  Second
edition 1893.  Third edition edited by S. Martinet.  Slatkine
Reprints.  Geneva.  1967.

>  Does anyone have this resource in its original form? I would like
> to include it in my "Fine Spice" documentation, but i'd like to
> verify the source.

Somewhere I have my research photocopies of Pichon & Vicaire, and
could type in the French original.  Just not immediately.

My translation reads:

222. Spice Powder.

Grind ginger (4 parts), cassia (3 1/2 parts), nutmeg (2 parts),
pepper (1 1/2 parts), long pepper, cloves, grains of paradise and
galingale (1 part each).  (A recipe quoted by Pichon et al., p. 26.)

A citation for the translation would read:

Tirel, Guillaume. <i>Le Viandier de Taillevent:</i> c. 1395. Trans.
James Prescott. 2nd ed. Eugene: Alfarhaugr Publishing Society, 1989.

I hope this helps.  If you need the French original typed in, including
whatever Pichon & Vicaire say about where it came from, let me know.

Thorvald