[Sca-cooks] Period Seaweed Recipes?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Mar 6 21:12:12 PST 2004

Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>On Mar 6, 2004, at 5:02 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
>>The Cantonese use dried laver in soup, with pork or chicken stock
>>and egg flowers. It comes in sheets a little like processed nori,
>>but is coarser, and when soaked in water (before adding it to the
>>simmering soup), it dissolves into little, fine shreds with a
>>slightly gelatinous texture which thicken the soup.
>
>What is this product called?  I would be interested in experimenting with it.
>>
>>The only vaguely period reference to people eating seaweed that I
>>can think of Malachi McCormick's assertion that Saint Colmcille ate
>>a lot of dulse... no info on how it was prepared. Will have to go
>>back through Adamnan's Life of Saint Columba and see if it's in
>>there.
>>

>In the Florilegium, in a post of yours from 1997, go on about that
>dish, called Brotchan Foltchep, with a modern recipe which seems to
>omit the dulse.
><http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Ireland-msg.text>

That's because they're two separate dishes. McCormick gives a recipe
for Brotchan Foltchep (a.k.a. Brotchan Roy), saying this was
apparently eaten by Colmcille, and he also mentions, sort of
peripherally, that he ate a lot of dulse. I haven't been able to find
any specific references to either food in documents even remotely
contemporary to Colmcille (his bio by Adamnan is quite a bit later
than Comcille himself). It may have been a tradition on Iona, I don't
know.

>Tangentially:  I happened to be watching the movie THE SECRET OF
>ROAN INISH the other night, and the grandmother was cooking a
>special soup of seaweed and water which was supposed to be extremely
>good for you.  Gaelic kombu dashi, anybody?

Well, they obviously didn't check the Laverbread web site I posted
earlier, or they'd have known just how unhealthy this can be ;-)

Adamantius (trying to remember the sauce he used for the lamb
medallions wrapped in laver and steamed -- probably a caper butter
emulsion...)