[Sca-cooks] Period Seaweed Recipes?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 6 20:54:57 PST 2004

On Mar 6, 2004, at 5:02 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
> The Cantonese use dried laver in soup, with pork or chicken stock and
> egg flowers. It comes in sheets a little like processed nori, but is
> coarser, and when soaked in water (before adding it to the simmering
> soup), it dissolves into little, fine shreds with a slightly
> gelatinous texture which thicken the soup.

What is this product called?  I would be interested in experimenting
with it.

> The only vaguely period reference to people eating seaweed that I can
> think of Malachi McCormick's assertion that Saint Colmcille ate a lot
> of dulse... no info on how it was prepared. Will have to go back
> through Adamnan's Life of Saint Columba and see if it's in there.

In the Florilegium, in a post of yours from 1997, go on about that
dish, called Brotchan Foltchep, with a modern recipe which seems to
omit the dulse.
<http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Ireland-msg.text>

Tangentially:  I happened to be watching the movie THE SECRET OF ROAN
INISH the other night, and the grandmother was cooking a special soup
of seaweed and water which was supposed to be extremely good for you.
Gaelic kombu dashi, anybody?

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net