[Sca-cooks] Period Seaweed Recipes?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Mar 6 17:02:40 PST 2004

Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
>I like to eat seaweed. I first discovered it in 1967 when people i
>knew were "Macrobiotic". Since then i've found more kinds than i
>knew about back then - back then i found wakame, hijiki, kombu
>(kelp), and nori - all Japanese.
>
>So now i'm curious. Does anyone know of SCA period recipes using
>seaweed? I'm thinking of seaweed primarily as a "vegetable", but
>recipes using agar to make something gel or other uses of seaweed
>would also be interesting.

The Cantonese use dried laver in soup, with pork or chicken stock and
egg flowers. It comes in sheets a little like processed nori, but is
coarser, and when soaked in water (before adding it to the simmering
soup), it dissolves into little, fine shreds with a slightly
gelatinous texture which thicken the soup.

I remembered also a reference to Welsh laverbread, which is either
cakes made from processed laver, cooked and mixed with oatmeal, then
rolled in fine oatmeal and fried in bacon fat, or simply piled on
toast. After a quick Web search for laverbread, which, apparently, is
the cooked laver and not the cakes which some people make from that,
I ran across the following Web page:

http://www.blackmountaingallery.com/SCENERY/laverbread.htm

The opinions expressed on the page are not necessarily those of management...

>European, non-European, i don't care where they're from.

The only vaguely period reference to people eating seaweed that I can
think of Malachi McCormick's assertion that Saint Colmcille ate a lot
of dulse... no info on how it was prepared. Will have to go back
through Adamnan's Life of Saint Columba and see if it's in there.

Adamantius, whose name is no coincidence