[Sca-cooks] Le Menagier Fine Powder

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Mar 6 21:29:14 PST 2004

The Brereton/Ferrier version is found on page 270 under Miscellaneous
Cooking Hints II v.
314. reads
Pouldre fine. Prenez gingerbre blanc 1 (degree). 3, canelle triee 3
(degree),
giroffle et graine de chascun demy quart d'once, et de succre en pierre
3 (degree).
et faictes pouldre.

I am using (degree) for the super-imposed degree sign that I am sure
will not
e-mail at all well.

The note for this as found on page 329 states:
Pouldre fine... et faictes pouldre
The quantities prescribed here are difficult to interpret. The
apothecary's sign 3
indicates a drachm 9cf. lines 29 and 30 where drame is spelt out), and
I (degree)
may be meant for one ounce. The sign 3 (degree), however, is baffling. B
has replaced this
by 4 (degree), presumably an abbreviation for 4 ounces. Pichon's suggestion
(ii, 247 n.3) that 4 (degree) means un quarteron is weakened by the fact
that the usual
abbreviation is iiii (on ----written there as superscript).

{ I will note that what they reproduce in the text to the note looks
like a funny bold face 3}

I suspect that if my reading of the note is correct that  there may be
differences between versions of the manuscript.

Eileen Power in The Goodman of Paris on page 298 gives this as:
FINE [SPICE] POWDER. Take of white ginger an ounce and a dram,
of selected cinnamon a quarter, of cloves and grain [of  Paradise] each half
a quarter of an ounce, and of lump sugar a quarter and reduce them to
powder.

I suspect Hinson stuck more closely to Power's version.

I also have at hand: Le Mesnagier de Paris which is Brereton and
Ferrier's edition of Le Menagier de Paris translated into
modern French by Karin Ueltschi [Librairie Generale Francaise, 1994] and
the Slatkine Reprints edition of Le Menagier de Paris  [or the Pichon
edition](Geneve) if you think those versions
might help. I can check those in the morning, but it's too late tonight
to get into them.

Have you seen my article in the Florilegium---
French & Italian Herb and Spice Mixtures by THLady Johnnae llyn Lewis.
Stefan added it to the Florilegium in December.

Hope this helps---

Johnnae