[Sca-cooks] Le Menagier Fine Powder

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 6 22:23:44 PST 2004

Greetings, Johnna

Thanks for adding to the pile'o'stuff i have on Fine Powder and
powders like them :-) This definitely helps me understand at least a
bit what's going on the Le Menagier.

>I also have at hand: Le Mesnagier de Paris which is Brereton and
>Ferrier's edition of Le Menagier de Paris translated into modern
>French by Karin Ueltschi [Librairie Generale Francaise, 1994] and
>the Slatkine Reprints edition of Le Menagier de Paris  [or the
>Pichon edition](Geneve) if you think those versions might help. I
>can check those in the morning, but it's too late tonight to get
>into them.

Well, if you have time, i'd love more info :-) I'm just that kinda
guy. As annoying as i must seem over such a small thing, this is
really helpful in clarifying and understanding how the "redactors"
have arrived at their modern recipes.

Also thanks for the reference to your article. I've now looked at it
in the Florilegium, and i have another annoying question. Does
Barbara Wheaton in Savoring the Past give the original French by any
chance for:

Spice Mixture from Livre fort excellent de cuisine 1555.
Wheaton. Savoring the Past . p.247.

7 tablespoons powdered ginger
1/4 cup ground pepper
7 1/4 teaspoons grated nutmeg
5 teaspoons ground cardamom
5 3/4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons long pepper
4 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 tablespoons powdered galingale

Also, i'm now curious about the Thresor de sante recipe in Wheaton.
The recipe Thorvald/James Prescott sent which is on p. 395 of this
work, says, in the original French:
"Gingembre, quatre onces; canelle,  trois onces et demie; poivre
rond, une once et demie; poivre long, une once; muscade, deux onces;
clous de girofle, une once; graine de paradis, garingal, de chacun
une once.

Which i translate as:
ginger, four ounces
cinnamon, three ounces and a half
round pepper, one ounce and a half
long pepper, one ounce
nutmeg, two ounces
cloves, one ounce
grains of paradise, galangal, of each one ounce

Whereas Wheaton has:
Another Spice Mixture from the 1607 Thresor de Sante.

7 tablespoons ginger
4 tablespoons fresh pepper
5 tablespoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons galingale
4 teaspoons ground cloves
5 teaspoons cardamon
1/2 ounce long pepper if you have it
4 grated whole nutmegs

Again, does she give the original French? It looks to me like she is
using the recipe James sent, but is substituting cardamom for grains
of paradise. And in my experience, since i have access to both grains
and cardamom, they are not all that similar.

Again, my thanks to you, both for you information and for the
intriguing web page. And for all the other help you've sent me in
messages now lost in the death of my hard drive.

Anahita