[Sca-cooks] Le Menagier Fine Powder

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Mar 7 13:34:04 PST 2004

Continuing from where I left off last night or rather early this am---
 Le Mesnagier de Paris which is Brereton and Ferrier's edition of Le
Menagier de Paris
translated into modern French by Karin Ueltschi [Librairie Generale
Francaise, 1994]
page 776 in this edition

Line 3222-3224
314. Pouldre Fine. Prenez gingembre blanc 1 (degree). 3, canelle
triee 3 (degree), giroffle et graine de chascun demy quart d'once,
et de succre en pierre 3 (degree), et faictes pouldre.

The notes read:
3222. b 7(degree) 3 (?) c. A, t. 4 (degree) g. B.
3224. p. 4(degree) et B.

Again I am using (degree) for the super-imposed degree sign and that the 3
that  they reproduce in the text  looks like a funny bold face 3.

The Slatkine Reprints edition of Le Menagier de Paris  [of the 1846
Pichon edition]
(Geneve) reads:
Section "Menues Choses" of volume II, page 247.
POULDRE FINE. Prenez gingembre blanc 4 [degree] @ (une
once et une drachme?) canelle trie'e + [degree] (un quarteron?)
giroffle et graine de chascun demi quart d'once, et de
succre en pierre +[degree] (un quarteron?) et faictes pouldre.

The @ sign is a symbol for a scrawl that looks like the top half of question
mark with an additional line at the top. The + sign is for a symbol that
looks
very much like a plus scrawl.

The notes read: Je crois que ce signe, reproduit exactement ice d'apres le
Ms. B, est un 4. Il figure aussi dans les Menus I, II, IV, VI. Voy.
p.91, n.5.
Il est remplace dans le Ms. A par @ (un gros ou drachme). Voy, pour la
poudre
de due (or maybe it's duc), aussi estimee que celle-ci au xiv siecle.,
p. 248.

Again there are references to the differences between the versions
between the texts.

I'll reply to the other questions in my next post.

Johnnae llyn Lewis