[Sca-cooks] Cardamom?

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 6 23:07:10 PST 2004

I had thought that it was the spice associated with a Danish, making it
different from a Sweet Roll.  You mention Swedish modern cooking earlier,
could the sources for the Northern areas be the place to look for period
references to Cardamom?
Christianna

OK, it finally dawned on my why i am seeing cardamom interpolated
into modern SCA-redactions of Medieval and/or Renaissance spice blend
recipes. SCAdians, and some modern scholars and cookbook authors are
using it as a substitute for grains of paradise.

I guess the assumption is, since grains and cardamom are in the same
family, cardamom can substitute for the hard-to-find grains of
paradise. It's like substituting ginger for galangal - they're both
rhizomes in the same family... If one has never tasted the mystery
spice, then won't know just how very different the flavors are.

But i STILL wonder... are there any Medieval and/or Renaissance
recipes that actually use cardamom?

Anahita