[Sca-cooks] wafers

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 8 02:52:07 PST 2004

> > "Angel's Food" - which, without a recipe in front of me I recall being
made
> > up of sweetened riccotta.  mmmmmm....
>
> Is the recipe in the Florilegium?
>
> Beathog

I'm not sure about the Florilegium, but Barbara Santich has this recipe in
The Original Mediterranean Cuisine:

Menyae d'Angles (Con Sa Deu Manyar Mato' Cens Bolir, O Fformatages), Sent
Sovi

Si vols menyar lo mato', prin lo mato' e met-lo en lo morter, e pique'l be'
ab bon sucre blanc.  E quant sera' picat, axeteu ab aygua-ros' ho naffa, e
met-lo en gresals ho en escudelles ho ab que'.t vuylles; e do'na-ho a
menyar.  E si no y volies metre sucre al piquar, met-hi de bona mel.  E axi'
matex sse ffa del fformatge ffresc, he diu-hi millor, e anomene's menyar
d'angles.

Angel's Food

If you want to eat the fresh curds, put the curds in the mortar and pound
with some good white sugar.  And when pounded together, blend in some
rosewater or orange-flower water, and put it in bowls or dishes, or whatever
you like; and serve it at table.  And if you don't wish to use sugar, add
some good honey.  And you can do the same with fresh cheese, which is
better, and it is called angel's food.

Angel's Food

300 G (10 oz.) Fresh Ricotta
1-2 T. Honey or Sugar
1-2 T. Orange-Flour or Rosewater

Fluff the ricotta with a fork and whisk in the honey or sugar and the
desired flavoring.  Orange-flour water and rosewater vary in strength
according to provenance (and according to the time they have spent on your
shelf) so add a small amount to begin with, and then more as necessary.

A dessert of the utmost simplicity, this recipe finds its modern counterpart
in the combination of yogurt and honey.  Serve with sponge fingers or small
crisp biscuits--amaretti or almond bread.

End recipe and commentary from the author.

As good as this sounds with ricotta, I bet it would be even better with
marscapone.  I've wanted to try it for a while, but haven't come across the
proper occasion.  Almost makes me want to add one more dessert to the
Queen's Luncheon at Gulf Wars.....almost, but not quite, at this late date.

Mairi Ceilidh