[Sca-cooks] Cardamom?

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 8 17:44:16 PST 2004

Phlip wrote:

>Were figs in period smaller than those that grow now? Because all the fresh
>figs I've seen are roughly the size of a hen's egg- if someone were to
>follow this recipe (which I admit would probably be fairly effective) they'd
>look like a chipmunk...

I'll take another tack:

Which variety of figs would have been correct for this text, and would
they have been more likely fresh or dried?  Out here in Caid we mostly
see the very large Black Mission figs, which are a descendent of Common
Turkish Brown figs via Spain, I believe, and probably not very similar
to what would have been meant by the author.  Some of the modern
European varieties like Celeste/Malta or Negronne would be more
palatable pill sizes, I'd think.

-Lorenz