[Sca-cooks] Re: samphire

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Mar 8 19:49:34 PST 2004

>         For some reason I thought that this plant was extinct.  Perhaps I am
>mixing it up with the Roman seasoning plant (silphium?)

 From the Florilegium (where else?):
silphium was a more or less unidentified (at least to us) plant
resin which appears to have gone extinct or otherwise unavailable
between the lifetime of Marcus Gavinus Apicius, and the time at which
the earliest Apicius manuscript (7th century?) is dated. Laser
appears to be the more readily available substitute for silphium, and
is believed to be asafeotida gum,presumably ground to a powder.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spices-msg.html