[Sca-cooks] samphire

Sayyida Halima al-Shafi'i of Raven's Cove lkuney at ec.rr.com
Tue Mar 9 07:09:46 PST 2004

Here are some links to samphire...sorry I don't have time to summarize
for a post about it, but the kind referred to in medieval documents is
Rock samphire, which grows to this day in Cornwall (where I lived) and
other rocky, coastal place in Europe, and rarely in Australia.

(http://www.riverhouse.com.au/factsheets/rock_samphire.html,
http://www.oldcity.demon.co.uk/eastanglia/country/samphire.html)

and you can buy jars of it pickled.

There is a kind of samphire that grows in North America, apparently
known as salicornia (marsh samphire) on the coasts of oceans,
(http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary/food/index.ssf?ARROW_UP=3420) but
I have no experience with it.

If I recall correctly (and I am dredging this wwaaaayyyy up from the
depths of my poor brain), there is a literary reference to samphire in
one of Louisa May Alcott's books, in which the child means to say
"vampire" and instead says "samphire" thereby inviting ridicule from
someone for comparing someone to a pickle.  This is post period but
shows that samphire is still alive and kicking.

Halima
Raven's Cove