[Sca-cooks] Drachma Weight

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 9 14:42:49 PST 2004

Actually, the spices would have been bought by the Steward and issued to
the Cook for the day's recipes.

If the spices were not issued individually for each recipe (and thus
measured by the Steward or his staff), I suspect they would have been
divided up 'by eye'.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

That's the thought that I had as well.  If they were keeping a close
accounting of everything bought and then used, the Steward would have been
the one with the scales, account books, and supplies.
In a household without such a strict compliance to the 'Order of Things'™,
the cook taking the bag and a spoon to measure out what they knew to be the
Master's taste makes much more sense.
It would depend on the circumstance, as with everything.
Christianna
more likely to spoon by eye than measure for strict compliance