[Sca-cooks] Marzipan question

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 10 08:48:19 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Olwen the Odd <olwentheodd at hotmail.com>

> Why are you drying them in an oven?  You run a risk of them either cracking
> or getting so rock hard they will be uneatable.

Wasn't that the period practice?  "Stoving" them?

> You will be best off by leaving them to dry on wax or pachment paper lightly covered with a clean
> cloth or paper.  Depending on the density you may need to turn the pieces
> over.  There is plenty of time for them to air dry properly.

Thanks, I'll do that with all the rest.

> What kind of shapes are you making?

Sheels, leaves, maybe some flowers - mostly small, flat shapes.

> Have you used molds for marzipan before?  The trick, if you haven't, is to gently
> dab some marzipan into the mold to get a good covering of almond oil in there.
> Some folks will tell you to coat the mold with powdered sugar.  I have not had success
> doing that.

My only experience with molds has been making peach-pits.  I do find sugar on the pre-molded lump is helpful.  Last night, I tried rubbing some almond oil on the mold, but it didn't make any noticeable difference.

Thank you for the tips.

Brighid ni Chiarain