[Sca-cooks] SCA potluck recipes

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Wed Mar 10 20:30:31 PST 2004

At 07:45 PM 3/10/2004 -0500, Phlip wrote:

>Just picked this up from Aislinn off the Trimaris Cooks List. Haven't gone
>into it in detail, but it looks like it might be pretty good. It seems to be
>a conbination of documentably period dishes suitable for potlucks, and old
>favorites, which aren't particularly documentable, from early in the SCA.
>Love to hear what people think ;-)
>
>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
>http://www.advancenet.net/~jscole/potlucktoc.htm

I'd recommend a grain of salt.

This recommends using "Freseyes or Strawberye" as a chicken sauce, but in
their contexts it seems that both recipes are categorized as pottage
recipes. In the one recipe that refers to meat, it seems that "gret vlehs"
refers to the relative amount of meat, not to any specific form of meat
(such as slices or chunks). Compare _Curye on Inglysch_ I 7, the first of
this series of recipes that call for "gret vlehs", in which this seems to
refer to "braun of chapoun ipolled al to poudre". See also later recipes
for dishes in this category, such as mawmenee (_Curye on Inglysch_ II 30,
III 25, IV 22 & 202), in which the meat is specifically said to be put in a
mortar, or brayed, or "yteysed". It looks to me like the right flesh for
this recipe is capon, cooked and then ground or shredded.

It also uses the term "perioid" freely and somewhat misleadingly, and
includes a coleslaw recipe from _How to Cook Forsoothly_ with what I
thought was too mild a warning about how very non-period that book tends to
be (it might easily be worse than _Fabulous Feasts_).

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon