[Sca-cooks] Winter Squash

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 10 22:45:09 PST 2004

  Amanda Blackwolf asked:
> I'm reading throughRedon et al. The Medieval Kitchen. In several
> recipes,
> recipe 25 in particular, they use pumpkin as the squash of choice,
> where the
> translation (and presumably the original, but I can't read French or
> Italian) states squash. I had thought that pumpkin was a New World
> food.
What we usually think of as a "pumpkin" these days is New World. It is
another example of the transfer of the name of an Old World food name
to a new item when it was "discovered".
> What squashes were available in France and Italy, especially in the
> winter?
I'm not sure but you might want to look in this file in the
FOOD-VEGETABLES section of the Florilegium for info on both of your
questions:
gourds-msg        (94K)  5/29/02    Gourds, pumpkins, squash. Recipes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com