[Sca-cooks] Winter Squash

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 05:56:36 PST 2004

>I'm reading through Redon et al. The Medieval Kitchen. In several recipes,
>recipe 25 in particular, they use pumpkin as the squash of choice, where
>the
>translation (and presumably the original, but I can't read French or
>Italian) states squash. I had thought that pumpkin was a New World food.
>What squashes were available in France and Italy, especially in the winter?
>
>Thanks,
>Amanda Blackwolf

The orangy pumpkin squash is a new world squash, but in many parts of the
world they have a similar type squash with a greenish skin that is also
called pumpkin.  Some types are a richer colour of orange inside and a much
richer flavor.  You can usually find these types of squashes in a latino
store or international market, either whole or cut into pieces as they can
get to be quite large.  There is one or two types with a slightly different
skin colour that is more yellow inside and less flavorful than even our
orange pumpkin.  Probably Bear will give a rundown on all the name and place
facts.
Olwen