[Sca-cooks] Marzipan question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 10 23:05:30 PST 2004

  Elewyiss asked:
> Really? Where did you find the recipe? I guess it wouldn't be possible
> to put them inside a real peach because of the juice. Do you make the
> marzipan yourself?  Is there a recipe for it?
For info on marzipan, including period recipes for making it, and
modern variations using canned almond paste as well as lots of useful
material on working with it, largely from Olwen, see this file in the
FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:
marzipan-msg      (76K)  4/ 2/02    Use of marzipan (almond paste) in
sotelties.

This file in the same section might also be useful:
molded-foods-msg  (15K)  6/11/02    Period and modern molded foods.
Molds.

As I mentioned in another message, the history of the peach pit craze
on this list and info on making the molds or getting them, can be found
in the Florilegium, but I don't remember where right now. Go to the top
page of the Florilegium and use the search engine with "peach pits" and
see what you get.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas