[Sca-cooks] Must be tired tonight...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Mar 11 03:24:27 PST 2004

Also sprach Phlip:
>Been looking at a website
>
>( http://chinesefood.about.com/library/weekly/aa022202a.htm )
>
>reading about curries, not only recipes for the foods, but recipes for the
>pastes and powders. Got down to the Thai pastes, which come in red, green,
>and yellow, basrd on what color the chilies are. The last used ghee as a
>base, was called Madras... Somehow, this image came to my mind that it would
>be in a madras pattern, using red, green, and yellow. Very pretty, but tough
>to reproduce in the food, wouldn't you think?
>
>Suspect perhaps in future, I ought not to switch back and forth between food
>a fabric websites....

While not food-related, I'm reminded of an infamous incident in the
Chronicle of My Family, wherein I, as a kid, am watching the 1939
"Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" on television. Holmes plays a tune on
the violin, a tune which sounds vaguely familiar (it's now normally
associated with a lyric which gets it called "Danny Boy" by fake
Irish people everywhere; as an instrumental it is known by at least
one other title). I ask my Mom what that tune is, and she looks up
from her Saturday Review of Literature, or whatever it is, and
replies, "That's 'The Londonderry Air'"

This is pretty perplexing. "'The London Derriere'? Really? Are you
sure? How did it get a name like that?"

"I don't know, but that's its real name," says my Mom.

Now my father gets involved: "It's kind of like how one movement of
Beethoven's Ninth Symphony is known as 'The Ode To Joy', when in fact
'The Ode To Joy' is a poem by Schiller, translated into English. A
lot of people call this 'Danny Boy', but the actual name of the tune
is 'The Londonderry Air.' "

"Still... 'The London Derriere'? How does it differ from, say, 'The
Rio De Janeiro Derriere'?"

"I'd think it'd be less bouncy."

"I see..."

At the time, I didn't. Now it all sounds quite plausible.

Adamantius