[Sca-cooks] "Tastes of Anglo-Saxon England"

Cera Chonaill cera_chonaill at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 08:53:08 PST 2004

But why would some of these leaps not work. Medical research today has shown
that chicken soup when you have a cold is good for you and has healing
abilities. I for one can say I eat chicken soup throughout the year even
when I'm not sick. Just like many of us add things to our diets today that
are considered medicinally good for us why could they not have done similar
in early period.

I'm researching 12/13th century Irish cooking and have to get references to
food types and uses from references that are not cookbooks (they just don't
seem to exist). It will help to understand why these interpretation from
references such as the medical usage are considered not to be as accurate as
others might be.

Though I must say for camp cooking I like using these recipes just to give
the feel of period cooking (and everyone will eat) over KFC and the like.
Plus, as a diabetic these recipes fit in so well to the food limits.

In Service,

Cera