Cough remedies was Re: [Sca-cooks] "Tastes of Anglo-Saxon England"

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 11 09:24:19 PST 2004

>>Saying "I like the taste of NyQuil, and it's good for me, and
>>therefore I'll
>>add it to my chicken tonight" is another.

Lately, I've been making people prove that they have a cough before I'll
pass them the honey butter for their bread.  Talk about a SCA-Foodies'
in-joke!  But that's my sly little way of sneaking a little educational
content under the radar. <g>

>>oh, honey ... that rates as a full body shudder!  i once knew a poor guy
>>who really did like the taste, and occasionally would have it over ice!

Yerch.  On The Other Hand, some of my raspberry cordials seemed to me
much like cough syrup... which didn't stop my yeoman from absolutely
going gaga over the stuff, labelling it "Raspberry Rocket Fuel" and
snarfing the whole batch.  No accounting for taste.

>cailte
>who has a baaaaaaaaaaaaad cold four days before crown tournament!
>nyquil is my friend... but howzit gonna make me look beYOOtiful? 8(

Well, Nyqui ensures that you'll surely get your Beauty Sleep!
And you'll look more beautyfull when you don't have a lot of snot going
on.  Yum Yum Yuck.

Here is my Cough Toddy for these occasions:

1/2 of a lemon squeezed into a coffee mug
a gloop of honey [say 2 Tbsp]
1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger
1 shot alcohol of your choice [I like Irish]
Fill up the mug with the hottest water you can stand,
stir it up and CHUG IT QUICKLY before your taste buds realize what
you've just done to them.
Does not taste very good but really cuts the phlegm factor.

Be well, Selene