[Sca-cooks] Candy question, mostly...

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Mar 15 20:40:08 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> The Physical Chemistry of Making Fudge
> http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF8/871.html
>
> Fudge is one of the rare exceptions to the rule
> that sugar crystals are not desirable in candy.
> Tiny microcrystals in fudge are what give it its
> firm texture.
 <snip>

Thanks, Ranvaig. I made another batch tonight, following the instructions
_exactly_, and we'll see what we get. Maybe it'll work, maybe not- Rob came
in as I was just pouring it to chill it, and I suspect he has the same
effect on fudge that I have on sewing machines- we'll see ;-) If this
doesn't work as well as I like, I'll get a candy thermometer and get all
scientific about it ;-)

Anyway, thanks, all, and Johnna, I'm looking forwrd to what you come up
with...

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well
please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the
consequences. -- P. J. O'Rourke