[Sca-cooks] Candy question, mostly...

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Mar 16 08:23:04 PST 2004

Shirley Corriher  in Cookwise says cook it to soft-ball stage
236 degrees F,  cool without disturbing to 110 degrees F and then
beat vigorously. (You might want to invest in a candy thermometer.
Overcooking is one of the things that happens.)
Being a combination of fat and protein from
the milk and chocolate, along with the factors of the sugars seems to lead
to the problems. This is one reason why there have been all these recipes
for making perfect fudge or easy fudge or guaranteed fudge that turns out.
Marshmallow fudge allows the marshmallow part to
help produce the very fine sugar crystals that help in making a creamy
smooth product.
(Corriher said that she preferrred  marshmallow fudge by the way.)
There are 82 recipes found under "fudge" in the Food Network files
so you can experiment a lot. Some of these are cakes and desserts so you can
experiment with those too.
Alton Brown's episodes on Fudge called "Fudge Factor" aired in February
and will air again in April. He's got recipes for chocolate and peanut
butter versions
posted on the web.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9956_30302,00.html

Hope this helps.