[Sca-cooks] Re: Pattern welding meets cooking. . .

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:32:18 PST 2004

>aeduin wrote:
>>
>>>Damn you all to hell.  Why couldn't this discussion have come up a month
>>>ago?  I'm cooking for an Anglo-Saxon-Danish-Geatish (yes, Beowulf) event
>>>this weekend, and there's no time left to play with pattern welded
>>>desserts.
>>>
>>>So it goes.  I think I'll blame Aeduin for this.
>>>
>>>-Lorenz
>>
>>So now it's MY fault?!?!?!? I'm sitting here waiting for a bread recipe to
>>proof so I can shape it into "Grendel's Arms"  for said feast.  If you
>>want to make sword candy it's not my fault.
>>
>>AEduin
>
>So make Jared do it.  He needs to start the soteltie tonight anyway. He's
>got a lot of the frosting and marzipan left from last weekend already, it
>would be child's play to tint and layer those.
>
>Selene

The full size broadsword I made first in marzipan never set up hard enough,
even after a week, to support any of it's own weight.  I ended up making a
huge batch of marzi-plate and Morningstar ended up making the final sword
(and the full size crown) out of that.  We did set it on a wooden cutout
painted white.  Of course that was just gilded, not welded.
Orlaith (who has changed her name) recently made a pulled sugar rapier in
full scale.  I got to see pictures!  It was wonderful.  Of course, that
wasn't welded either.
Olwen