[Sca-cooks] Re: Pattern welding meets cooking. . .

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Mar 16 16:17:12 PST 2004

Also sprach Linda Anderson:
>As a first generation Norwegian, I object to herring being
>"gravlaxed".  But- I do think that if the fillets of herring are
>thick enough (one inch or more) then it might be possible to finagle
>the recipe to fit herring.  I have no idea where you would *get*
>such thick herring!
>
>Herring ain't salmon, even if "gravlaxed".  Smoke it and it still
>ain't smoked salmon.  Put your herring in cream and add vinegar and
>onions and pepper then you have period herring.
>
>Sorry to interrupt.
>
>Linda Anderson
>whose husband was first generation Swedish and I am first generation Norwegian

On the other hand, neither is salmon Greenland shark, and the same
basic method (lightly salt and season, wrap and bury in cool but not
frozen earth or sand, being sure to provide proper drainage, leave it
to cure to taste) has been used for several centuries, I believe.

I think a very good case could be made for gravad-treating just about
any fish, unless it's something that is clearly from warm water. I'm
assuming that fish native to the region where this practice was used
would take precedence, though: salmon, trout, char, the
aforementioned Greenland shark.

I know the process works quite well for pacific black cod, often but
erroneously known as Chilean Sea Bass: it makes a pretty striking
presentation on a platter with regular gravlax...

Adamantius