[Sca-cooks] Re: Pattern welding meets cooking. . .

Linda Anderson lpa1 at sunlink.net
Tue Mar 16 15:20:24 PST 2004

At 07:37 PM 3/16/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>>I'm working up fishy things.  Can you do "gravlax" processing to herring
>>fillets instead?  I'm just not in the mood for vinegared fish.
>>Whatever I come up with today will be available for sampling tomorrow
>>eve, along with corned beast, Irish coffee, etc.
>>
>>Evylle Boss Selene
>
>Herring is fish, and if you gravlax it it will be vinegard fish.  If your
>not in the mood for vinegared fish, why not make pickled beef?
>Olwen who wants some of that Irish coffee.

============

As a first generation Norwegian, I object to herring being
"gravlaxed".  But- I do think that if the fillets of herring are thick
enough (one inch or more) then it might be possible to finagle the recipe
to fit herring.  I have no idea where you would *get* such thick herring!

Herring ain't salmon, even if "gravlaxed".  Smoke it and it still ain't
smoked salmon.  Put your herring in cream and add vinegar and onions and
pepper then you have period herring.

Sorry to interrupt.

Linda Anderson
whose husband was first generation Swedish and I am first generation Norwegian