[Sca-cooks] Menagier Question

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Mar 16 19:35:05 PST 2004

Power's version was an abridged one. She notes in the introduction that
it was shortened in translation. It was never intended to be the full
work. Note the decade that she was
writing in and consider that such works of interest to women's
history had yet to find their place in the market. Her story is rather a
tragic one.
She died in 1940 at the age of 41 of heart disease. Her " brief career
-- [was]
divided between Cambridge and the LSE where she became the
second female professor in economic history in Britain
and, above all, where she pioneered a new integrated social and
economic history discipline which she carried beyond academe to ordinary
people."
There are biographies and biographical articles of  Eileen Power
that stress her importance to the field of economic and medieval
studies. One book is A Woman in History: Eileen Power, 1889-1940.
See--
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0293/n453_v113/21226692/p1/article.jhtml
http://www.history.ac.uk/ihr/Focus/Whatishistory/berg2.html
http://www.history.ac.uk/ihr/Focus/Whatishistory/berg1.html