[Sca-cooks] Menagier Question

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Wed Mar 17 10:35:24 PST 2004

At 03:09 PM 3/16/2004 -0800, Crystal of the Westermark wrote:
>IIRC, from reading the forward of Powers a long time ago, she freely
>admits she edited quite a lot away. I really prefer Hinson, or the bits of
>Menagier in Scully's _Early French Cookery_,  to Powers' translation.

If one can make head or tail of French, I recommend consulting the (not yet
complete) webbed version in the original French at
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/ rather than relying on Hinson's
translation alone. She seems to have made some unnecessary and unsupported
assumptions -- for instance, she rendered "leschefrites et darioles" as
"fried bread slices and meat tarts" rather than recognizing the apparent
reference to the foods described in Middle English recipes as "leche frys
and daryols".

--
Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark