[Sca-cooks] oil & vinegar dressings

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Mar 17 09:56:08 PST 2004

Also sprach Heleen Greenwald:
>Thanks to everyone who answered my oil and vinegar dressing question.  I
>shall continue to keep my salad dressings in the frige.
>
>What does racid oil smell & taste like?

Mildly rancid oil begins to taste and smell like when peanuts get old
without refrigeration (which isn't surprising since the unpleasant
flavor of stale peanuts is due to rancid oils). In extreme cases it
almost smells like plastic (again, because that's sort of the
chemical process it is undergoing).

In general, rancid oil is thick, sticky,
bitter-musky-tasting-and-smelling. As has been said, you'll know it
when you smell it, at least in a severe case.

Adamantius