[Sca-cooks] Feast Post-Mortem (Long)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Wed Mar 17 19:36:26 PST 2004

Also sprach Patrick Levesque:
>Perch. Preparing the fish, cut in morsels and put in the pot. Then add
>chopped onions and water to cover by a finger or two, pepper, cinnamon, salt
>and saffron, a little wine or verjuice, or lemon juice, and boil. Then, when
>it is about cooked, add a handful of chopped herbs.
>
>Change to the recipe: The perch I ordered from the fish store wasn't looking
>so good; I got instead 'perchaude' (don't know the English word, sorry...
>It's a fish native to North America, in taste and texture similar to perch).
>At a slightly lower cost for my troubles as well.

Perchaude appears to be the French-Canadian term for yellow perch;
they live all over the lakes of the east of North America, and are
probably farmed, commercially, in and around the Great Lakes. There
are also white perch, and probably others, but what the default,
unadjectival "perch" is for your area probably depends on where you
are.

Yellow perch are like smaller versions of the walleye (which is
sometimes, but erroneously, classified as a pike). Yellow perch
prefer warmer, shallower water than walleye, and, as I say, tend to
be smaller, but share the same basic body shape and coloration, and a
firm, sweet, white meat.

Adamantius