[Sca-cooks] oil & vinegar dressings

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Thu Mar 18 07:59:04 PST 2004

ok, simple.....
some of us have very bad senses of smell, so here is one way to learn how to
tell if your oil is rancid.

take a small quantity of oil and put it in a jar not filled to the brim, you
want AIR in the jar to help it go bad... heat it slightly,not boiling then
leave it out in a warm place or a sunny counter(or do what i did, i put mine
in  a car for two days)

get fresh oil of the same type, observe it pour, rub it on your finger and
get a feel for the consistancy, and sniff it. taste it

now, take a small amount of your "rancid" oil and do the same (except i cant
suggest tasting it)

otherwise find some oil that a friend with a good nose says is rancid, and
do a side by side compare with fresh oil.
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...