[Sca-cooks] Re: Lenten fasting

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Mar 19 16:05:37 PST 2004

Online one can start with and read the online version of the
1913 edition of the New Catholic Encyclopedia
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/
The article on Lent is long and is loaded with links to keep
you busy throughout the entire Lenten season.
http://www.newadvent.org/almanac/ lists a number of other sites
that are linked to New Advent.
http://www.catholicculture.org/  is another place for information on various
feast days and Lenten customs.
http://www.oca.org/  is the website of the Orthodox Church in America.
http://www.goarch.org/ is the website of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese
of America, Department of Internet Ministries.
There are thousands of these sites online.
As for a book on the topic you might want to take a look at:
Passover and Easter : origin and history to modern times / edited by
Paul F. Bradshaw and Lawrence A. Hoffman.
Notre Dame, Ind. : University of Notre Dame Press, c1999.
vii, 252 p.  It's catalogued under Easter--History.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis