[Sca-cooks] SPICED RUM!?!

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 20 07:57:48 PST 2004

Rum has usually been mixed with something "else."  Think rum punch, buttered
rum, etc.  Rum and coke is a traditional knock off of the Cuba Libre that
came to popularity with the expatriate crowd in Havana during prohibition.
A proper Cuba Libre is 2-3 ounces of Coca Cola, juice and rind of 1 lime, 1
ounce of rum, 1/2 ounce of gin, and a dash or two of bitters.  Originally it
was an exotic cocktail with a cocaine kick (if the tales of the original
ingredients of Coke are to be believed).

The transformation into rum and Coke came during World War II when rum was
cheaper than whiskey and Coca Cola was one of the most plentiful mixers
available.  Easy to get, easy to order, easy to mix, and easy to drink.  And
it didn't hurt that the Andrews Sisters gave it a lot of free publicity.

Rum and coke made with a good rum is a "comfort" drink for parties,
flirtations or getting gently plastered.

Bear