[Sca-cooks] SPICED RUM!?!

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Sat Mar 20 09:59:13 PST 2004

At 09:57 AM 3/20/2004 -0600, Bear wrote:
>Rum has usually been mixed with something "else."  Think rum punch, buttered
>rum, etc.  Rum and coke is a traditional knock off of the Cuba Libre that
>came to popularity with the expatriate crowd in Havana during prohibition.
>A proper Cuba Libre is 2-3 ounces of Coca Cola, juice and rind of 1 lime, 1
>ounce of rum, 1/2 ounce of gin, and a dash or two of bitters.  Originally it
>was an exotic cocktail with a cocaine kick (if the tales of the original
>ingredients of Coke are to be believed).

According to Barbara Mikkelson, by the prohibition era there was only a
token trace of cocaine left in the Coca-Cola formula, and that was removed
in 1929. (Homeopaths may inflate the significance of this fact in
accordance with their superstitions.)

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp

--
Alex Clark (Henry of Maldon says, "Cockaigne? The earthly paradise, home of
the fountain of youth? I'd drink that!")