[Sca-cooks] Mitica Fig Almond Cake

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 24 11:31:42 PST 2004

Phillipa wrote:

>I tried to post this before, but it never made it to the list, so I'm trying
>one more time.... talk about list weirdness......
>
>I was at Wegman's the other day and I found  *Mitica Fig Almond Cake*
>(origin Spain). There are no ingredients listed. Has anyone ever heard of
>this stuff?  What exactly is in it?  I just Googled it and I came up with
>the *cake* but no information about what was in it or the history of it....
>Now I am really curious
>
>Phillipa

 From an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/entertainment/columnists/rick_nichols/8096675.htm?1c

"Mitica" seems to be the brand name.  "Marcona" seems to be the type of
almond used therein;  more fragile than what we get in the US, it's
fried gently then used in other foods, texture more like pine nuts and
priced about the same too.

Mitica Fig Cake with Almonds appears to be a disc of fig paste with
marcona almonds strewn therein.  REcommended with wine and cheese.  So
rich!  I would not attempt to re-create this with California produce
unless it was very, very fresh and moist;  maybe wait for new green
almonds to appear in midsummer.    Here's a description:
http://www.rivercitycellars.com/staffpicks/archives/julia/000186.shtml

Selene Colfox